An oval dining table is a versatile piece of furniture that can be the centrepiece of any dining room. Its unique shape offers an elegant and timeless appeal, but it also presents a unique decorating challenge.
How do you make the most of this shape, ensuring it looks stylish and functional at the same time? In this article, we’ll delve into the specifics of decorating an oval dining table, offering tips and tricks to make your table the envy of all your guests.
Decoration Ideas for Oval Dining Table
1. Centrepieces: The Heart of the Table
- Artificial plants – it offers the beauty of greenery without the maintenance. They remain vibrant throughout the year and can be paired with other centrepieces for a layered look.
Opt for high-quality faux plants that mimic the real thing, adding a touch of nature to your table setting without the need for watering or sunlight.
- Floral Arrangements: Fresh flowers are a classic choice. Opt for a vase that complements the shape of the table – tall and slender for a more elongated look, or short and wide to fill out the centre.
- Candles: A cluster of candles of varying heights can create a warm and inviting ambiance. Remember to use non-scented candles during meals to avoid overpowering the aroma of your food.
- Fruit Bowls: A bowl filled with fresh fruits can be both decorative and functional. Choose fruits that contrast in colour for a vibrant look.
2. Table Runners and Mats
- Runners: A table runner can accentuate the length of your oval table. Choose a runner that contrasts with your tablecloth or the table’s natural finish.
- Placemats: Oval or round placemats work best. They mirror the table’s shape and provide a cohesive look.
3. Setting the Table
- Dinnerware: Opt for round plates and bowls. They’ll complement the oval shape and provide a harmonious look.
- Glassware: Keep it simple. Too many glasses can clutter the table. Stick to the essentials based on the meal you’re serving.
- Cutlery: Lay out cutlery in the order of use, from the outside in. This not only looks neat but also helps guests navigate their meal.
4. Adding Personal Touches
- Name Cards: If you’re hosting a formal dinner, name cards can add a personal touch. They can be as simple or as elaborate as you like.
- Decorative Napkins: Folded napkins can elevate the look of your table. Experiment with different folding techniques to find one that suits your style.
5. Seasonal Decorations
Embrace the seasons! Whether it’s autumn leaves, winter pinecones, spring blossoms, or summer seashells, incorporating seasonal elements can keep your table looking fresh and relevant.
1. How much space should I leave between place settings on an oval table?
Aim for at least 50-61 cm between settings to give guests ample elbow room. This ensures that everyone has enough space to eat comfortably and move without bumping into each other.
2. Can I use square placemats on an oval table?
While you can, round or oval placemats tend to complement the table’s shape better. Square placemats might look a bit out of place, but it’s ultimately a matter of personal preference.
3. How do I protect my oval table from scratches and spills?
Consider using a table pad beneath your tablecloth. It provides a protective layer against potential damage. This way, you can prevent unsightly marks and ensure the longevity of your table’s surface.
Decorating an oval dining table requires a keen eye for balance and symmetry. With these tips in hand, you’re well on your way to setting up a dining table that will impress any guest.
And if you are looking for more options, you can browse affordable oval dining tables in Malaysia.